Healthy Mommy, Healthy Baby: Pregnancy Tips
You and your husband are delighted that you are pregnant. You both wish to do whatever you can to ensure that you have a holistically healthy, happy baby. Here you will find some guidelines for each trimester of your pregnancy.
FIRST TRIMESTER (Weeks One through Thirteen)
1) Take a quality prenatal multi-vitamin/ multi-mineral every day. Make sure that you receive extra folic acid during this period.
2) Make your first appointments with your obstetrician. Have your husband accompany you to your appointments, especially to your first ultrasound when you will be able to see the first image of your growing baby.
3) Consult with your obstetrician and decide where you would like to give birth. Options include a hospital, birthing center, or home birth (extra supports are required).
4) Eat a healthy, balanced diet, based on fresh fruit and vegetables and whole grains. Concentrate on eating foods high in folic acid and iron.
5) Drink at a minimum eight glasses of fresh water every day.
6) Exercise often, ideally every day for thirty to forty-five minutes. Consider fun and low-impact cardiovascular exercise such as walking and swimming. Think also about doing muscular training and stretching exercises, such as yoga or Pilates.
7) Eliminate or drastically lower your caffeine intake.
8) Limit or eliminate your intake of fish, especially ones high in mercury like tuna.
9) Avoid coloring your hair throughout your pregnancy.
10) Take a nap whenever you feel tired. Listen to your body’s signals.
11) Read several quality pregnancy books. Share your new knowledge with your husband.
12) Consider writing a pregnancy blog or a pregnancy journal to record this special time.
SECOND TRIMESTER (Weeks Fourteen through Twenty-Six)
1) Continue to attend your obstetrician appointments. Bring your husband along.
2) Persevere with your healthy pregnancy diet.
3) Continue with your cardiovascular exercise and stretching/ strength training.
4) Treat yourself to several professional messages with a registered massage therapist.
5) Purchase a pregnancy body pillow to help you sleep more comfortably.
6) Take parenting and childbirth classes with your husband.
7) Research childcare options for after your return to work (unless you plan on being a stay-at-home mom).
8) Enjoy purchasing maternity clothes. Find clothes that flatter your special pregnancy figure.
9) Begin to shop for your baby’s nursery furniture and decorations.
10) Buy a baby name book and start brainstorming names with your husband.
THIRD TRIMESTER (Weeks Twenty-Seven through Forty)
1) Choose your pediatrician. Ask for recommendations from family and friends.
2) Continue attending your obstetrician appointments with your husband.
3) Tour the hospital or birthing center where you will be delivering your baby.
4) Prepare your baby’s clothes and linens in advance. Wash your baby’s clothes and linens with a gentle baby detergent.
5) Arrange for the care of your older children or pets if applicable.
6) Prepare your baby’s nursery.
7) Pack your suitcase for your hospital stay.
8) Try to relax and practice deep breathing.
9) Enjoy the remainder of your pregnancy with your husband and family.