Constipation During Pregnancy
Constipation is a very common problem faced by expecting mothers. Constipation during the prenatal period can begin from conception and continue through the whole pregnancy. It occurs due to the hormones that relaxes the intestinal muscle or due to the pressure of the growing uterus on the intestine. The relaxation of the intestinal muscles results wastes and food to move gradually through the system.
Expecting moms suffering from constipation should not worry as that they are not alone. Most pregnant women experience it. One of the reasons that contribute to constipation during pregnancy is because of the hormonal changes. As the baby develops inside the womb, the digestive system turns non-cooperative which can also result in constipation.
Another reason is the pressure exerted from the uterus that sits on the rectum. It is this pressure that can make it difficult to have bowel movements thereby making them irregular. Sometimes iron supplements too contribute to constipation. Pregnant women can get relief from constipation; the extremely uncomfortable condition with few self-help measures.
Best Home Remedies for Constipation During Pregnancy
1. Stay hydrated: staying hydrated is essential for every woman, particularly in pregnancy. Drink adequate amount of water daily, at least 7-8 glasses. For best results drink a glass of fresh fruit juice daily, preferably prune juice to keep constipation at bay. Some women find things moving after drinking a glass of warm liquid the first thing in the morning.
2. Eat fiber rich foods: consume foods rich in fiber such as breads, whole-grain cereals, fresh vegetables and fruits, and beans. Fiber is vital as it pushes the intestines for working harder and also absorbs liquid thereby ensuring that the stool does not get dry but remain soft. This is a good way to get relief from constipation during the pre-natal period.
3. Dates: eating dates daily is essential for curing constipation. It helps to regulate the blood level and provide iron and strength to the body. This is one of the best home remedies for constipation during pregnancy.
4. Coconut water: this is an effective way to get rid of constipation as well as other pregnancy ailments such as urinary tract infections.
5. Guava: eating guava on a regular basis on an empty stomach helps in controlling constipation.
6. Drink soups: Drink adequate amount of soups and fruit and vegetable juice in order to provide sufficient water, nutrients and energy to the body. This will add extra fluid to the body which in return will provide instant relief from constipation. However avoid taking chilled soups. This is an easy way to get relief from constipation during pregnancy.
7. Avoid holding bowel movements: Expecting moms should never hold their bowel movements whenever they feel an urge to go. Though few experience hemorrhoids during pregnancy, they however must ensure that they are still visiting the bathroom every time they feel that they have to. This is one of the best home remedies for constipation during pregnancy.