Pregnancy massage is a great pampering activity during pregnancy. It’s highly beneficial for the mother, and it can help lessen some discomforts associated with carrying a baby.
As well as being a stress reliever and helping relieve back pains, massage can also be helpful for an unborn baby. How is this so? Massage sends tactile sensations (touch) through the skin of a pregnant mother to her baby, which encourages the baby to develop their senses and feel more at home in their mom’s womb.
Getting massaged during pregnancy can do wonders for your prenatal health. Here are some of the major benefits…
* For relieving the stress and tension brought on during pregnancy, a massage is required. Massaging helps rid of muscle spasms, cramps associated with extra weight-bearing, and physical changes.
* Its objective is to reduce the anxiety and tension of the mother, which are increasingly induced during pregnancy and lactation.
* Everyone wants the health of their baby to be enhanced and this is something that can only happen when there is an increase of blood circulation, lymph circulation, edema reduction and an increase in cell respiration.
* Massage makes the mother feel nurtured and pampered. She will in turn, be able to pass that relaxed feeling onto the baby while they are being carried.
* It reduces the stress in the upper back and alleviates tension in other areas connected to it – shoulder blades and shoulder joints, ribs, right elbow and right wrist.
* Pushing a baby out of your body takes a lot of effort, so you need to manage your breath well and make sure that you’re staying cool.
When a mother becomes pregnant, her body goes through many changes. A massage might not be recommended for the first three months to ensure the health of the baby and mother.
Doctors recommend not having a pregnancy massage until the second trimester unless it’s medically necessary.
In the second and third trimesters of pregnancy, women that have had no problems with their pregnancy and have not previously miscarried are most likely very healthy. However, it is recommended that they should see a doctor.
It’s also important to help the mother remain relaxed and free of any pain during labor. A lot of people prefer to do outdoor activities, like walking or hiking, as they say it’s easier on their body. However, as everyone knows your body has its limits, so ensure that you bring water with you if you’re out in the wild and never let yourself (and your baby) dehydrate.
It’s important not to do deep tissue work during pregnancy massage as it could be harmful. Effleurage is a much gentler form of techniques used during pregnancy massage that works to relax the client and any tense muscles they may have imbalances or injuries in.
There are also a number of pressure points that the masseur must avoid, including pressure points around the ankles and also between the thumb and forefinger. Effleurage massage is not recommended during pregnancy, however gentle stroking on the feet is considered safe.
It’s important to be mindful of the types of essential oils used during a massage because there are some that aren’t safe – such as those meant for use on children – while pregnant women are in the midst of receiving a massage.
It is important for pregnant women to consider their wellbeing and the wellbeing of their growing baby when receiving any kind of massage treatment. To ensure that your pampering experience is a safe one, make sure you speak to a professional therapist who understands the specific needs encountered during pregnancy regarding relaxing and therapeutic massage techniques.