Healthy Ways to Increase your Chances of Conceiving a Baby
You and your husband have made an important and life-changing decision – you both feel ready for the next adventure in your marriage – parenthood! As you dream about becoming a mommy and daddy, there are a variety of simple steps that you can take to help you become pregnant naturally. Follow these guidelines to help you conceive your child.
1) Follow a healthy prenatal nutrition plan. Eat plenty fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, low-fat and plant-based protein.
2) Avoid all diets. While you are trying to conceive your child, your body needs as many nutrients as it can get. Many diets are unhealthy at any time of life, especially during pre-conception and pregnancy. Dieting can lead to nutritional deficiencies, which is a cause of infertility.
3) Maintain a healthy body weight. If you are underweight, then it is extremely important that you gain the weight necessary to put you into a healthy weight range. Ask your family doctor for guidance if you need to gain weight. Mothers who are underweight often give birth to underweight babies. Being born underweight can lead to many health problems in infancy.
4) Avoid emotional eating. Trying to get pregnant is often a very emotional and turbulent time for a wife and husband. It typically takes multiple attempts before a woman gets pregnant. Emotional eating ñ eating out of fear, anger, loneliness or stress ñ is unhealthy for your body and unhealthy for your self-esteem. Instead, find positive outlets for your stress and anxiety. Maintain open and honest communication with your husband.
5) Be patient. It can take upwards of twelve months to conceive a child naturally. Stress and anxiety are primary factors in fertility problems, so the more peaceful and relaxed you are as a couple, the easier it should be to conceive a baby.
6) Turn to your husband for support, nurturance, and comfort. View this period as a process that takes time and energy. Utilize this time in your relationship to grow closer together. Ask your husband to massage you on a regular basis, as massage releases relaxing hormones that help you feel calm and refreshed. Try to find humor in day-to-day life together.
7) In order to help you and your husband become more fertile, both take extra nutritional supplements, including the following vitamins:
a) Vitamin C
c) Vitamin E
f) Vitamin A
g) Vitamin B complex
8) Avoid all alcohol (both you and your partner). Alcohol reduces sperm count in men and may prevent the implantation of the fertilized egg in women.
9) Avoid hot tubs, saunas, and vigorous exercise, as they may cause changes in ovulation and reduced sperm count.
10) Avoid smoking (both you and your partner). Avoid being around second-hand smoke.
11) Minimize or eliminate your consumption of caffeine.
12) Develop better stress management skills. Begin with simple deep breathing. Deep breathing will increase the oxygen to your brain and help reduce your anxiety and nervousness.