Constipation During Pregnancy
Constipation is an all-too-common issue for expecting mothers, which can start from conception and last throughout the entire pregnancy. This occurs due to the hormones that relax the intestinal muscles or the growing uterus putting pressure on the intestine. The relaxation of the intestinal muscles causes waste and food to move slowly through the system.
If you’re an expecting mother who is currently suffering from constipation, don’t worry – you’re not alone. In fact, constipation is a very common occurrence for pregnant women due to the drastic hormonal changes that occur during pregnancy. As the baby develops and grows inside the womb, the digestive system often becomes much less cooperative which can lead to constipation. However, there are ways to ease the symptoms of constipation and make the digestive system more cooperative such as eating high-fiber foods, drinking lots of water, and avoiding processed foods.
Another reason for constipation during pregnancy is the pressure from the uterus that sits on the rectum. This pressure can make it difficult to have bowel movements, making them irregular. Sometimes iron supplements contribute to constipation. Pregnant women can get relief from constipation with a few self-help measures.
Best Home Remedies for Constipation During Pregnancy
1. Stay hydrated: It’s essential for every woman to stay hydrated, especially during pregnancy. Make sure you’re drinking at least 7-8 glasses of water a day. For even better results, drink a glass of fresh fruit juice daily – prune juice is especially good for keeping constipation at bay. Some women find that things start moving after drinking a glass of warm liquid first thing in the morning.
2. Eat fiber rich foods: Eat foods high in fiber like breads, whole-grain cereals, fresh vegetables and fruits, and beans. Fiber is important because it helps keep the intestines working properly and also absorbs liquid, making sure that the stool doesn’t get too dry. This is a good way to get relief from constipation during pregnancy.
3. Dates: Eating dates daily is one of the best home remedies for constipation during pregnancy. It helps to regulate the blood level and provide iron and strength to the body. Dates are also essential for curing constipation. They help to regulate bowel movements and keep the digestive system healthy.
4. Coconut water: Drinking prune juice is an effective way to get rid of constipation, as well as other pregnancy ailments like urinary tract infections.
5. Guava: If you’re struggling with constipation, try incorporating guava into your diet. Eating guava on an empty stomach on a regular basis can help control constipation and keep things moving smoothly.
6. Drink soups: Drink an adequate amount of soups and fruit and vegetable juice to provide sufficient water, nutrients, and energy to the body. This will add extra fluid to the body, which in return will provide instant relief from constipation. However, avoid taking chilled soups. This is an easy way to get relief from constipation during pregnancy.
7. Avoid holding bowel movements: Expecting mothers should never ignore the urge to go to the bathroom when they feel it. Though few women experience hemorrhoids during pregnancy, they must still ensure that they are visiting the bathroom every time they feel the need to go. This is one of the best home remedies for constipation during pregnancy.