If you can find even a few minutes each day for peace and quiet, you can use them to relax and rejuvenate yourself. You can find several ways to spend as little as ten minutes relaxing when the kids are napping or just before they wake up in the morning. Maybe you could read a short book, listen to some calming music, or even just sit in silence for a bit.
These are some ideas:
• If you have a young child, you know that nap time is a precious commodity. You can use this time to catch up on some much-needed sleep yourself by taking a short nap. Just be sure to keep an ear out for your little one in case he wakes up.
• Take a few minutes to sit down and do some deep breathing exercises. Sit up straight and breathe in deeply for a count of six. Fill your lungs completely and hold the breath for a couple of counts before releasing it slowly until all the air is out. Repeat several times.
• Reading a few pages of a favorite book can be a great way to relax. It can also help to improve your focus and concentration.
• If you have somebody else responsible in the house, use that time to your advantage and go outside for a walk or work in the garden. If you happen to consider gardening as work, it won’t be as relaxing, so only do it if it’s something fun for you.
• If you’re feeling overwhelmed, take a few minutes to relax by working on a craft that you love. Scrapbooking, beading and card making are all great ways to unwind and de-stress.
• Dust off that old exercise DVD and give it a try! Not only will you get your blood flowing, but you’ll also get to relax your body and clear your mind.
• Give yourself some me-time by doing a short yoga session or take a few minutes to stretch.
• Sit quietly and journal – it can be anything from your hopes and dreams to plans or funny things that have happened.
• Alternatively, sit quietly on the porch or patio and watch the world go by.
• Make yourself a cup of tea and sip it slowly. Nibble on a favorite cookie, too.
• Fix yourself a healthy sandwich or bowl of soup and take your time eating it – don’t gulp it down.
• Fix a facemask and give yourself a facial. Rinse the mask off; apply moisturizer and makeup for a refreshed looking you.
It’s important to make time for yourself to relax, even when you have other things to do, like your job, your home, and your children, hobbies, classes, and relationships. Taking some time for yourself can help you be a better parent, employee, friend, and person.
If stress gets bad enough, it can lead to health problems. So take advantage of every opportunity – no matter how small – to relax and enjoy some peace and quiet.